Dec 8, 2008

Homemade advent calendar


A few weeks ago I saw an awesome post on Alphamom by Brenda Ponnay that made me say "we have to do that right now!", so that afternoon we got together all the bits and bobs from around the house and started to construct our own left over candy advent calendar.

The base boards were each a side of a cereal packet wrapped in aluminium foil and then the condiment cups were glue gunned on top.

The kids stuck snowflakes all over while I printed out thier names to stick on, and then we filled up the cups with sweeties.
Sticking on the circles of tissue paper was going to be a bit too fiddly for my two preschoolers, so that was done after they had gone to bed.
Smashing through the tissue paper to get to the treats is as much fun for them as smashing through the foil on a new jar of coffee is for me ;)

Hang them up high unless you have saintly children!

3 comments:

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

Oh wow, I LOVE THIS!! THANKS! Egg (son, 5 year old) has a reusable advent (little stockings) which I wrap around a little tree, and I fill every night (not saintly child:0)). But I have seen so many "activity" advents that I have been wanting to make one for next year (the direction would be to much for him this year). This would be great for that, burst through the tissue to find a little note of what the days activity would be. I will need to go to Ikea and erm collect 24 condiment cups....

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

Well I just read your blog from the start, it's amazing! Thanks for all the wondeful ideas and if it's all right with you I will put you on my blog roll.

Sarah Hausken said...

I love this idea! Do you just glue regular tissue paper over the cups, or is it tin foil?