Feb 4, 2009

Cardboard Pizza Making

This was an impromptu craft project that kind of evolved on the fly. I had a lot of kids over and they decided they wanted to play pretend Pizzeria, so we started off making some pizza to sell in the restaraunt.

The first batch of pizza we made was made from cardboard circles cut into six pieces and wrapped in white paper. I crunched over the rounded end to make it look like a crust and the kids coloured in the toppings they wanted. The youngest kids were only two years old, so there was a range of slices, some of which looked like pizza and some of which looked like health and safety should be notified.

We needed more pizza though and so this time I cut a circle into eight pieces and we wrapped it in brown paper instead.


The kids cut out toppings from construction paper and glued them on. We had cheese, tomatos, green pepper, olives and pepperoni. Looking back on it now, it probably would have been cool to mix some red food colouring in the glue, so that it looked like the tomato sauce on the pizza. Maybe next time.
Some of the slices got taken home by the kids that made them, but we made so many that we still have plenty to stock the bedroom pizzeria any time we need to. you could totally tell which kid had made which pizza. My oldest daughter was the only one that covered hers in olives (she loves olives!)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

This craft is just a little bit awesome! ;) I can't wait to try it!

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

red dye in the glue?! Woman you ROCK!!!!!!

Tami (Pixeltrash) said...

My, you've got a lot of good ideas. I've been browsing your blog for a long time tonight and the ideas just keep coming. Your blog is great for summer ideas. Love the paint chalk. I might give that a try with my boys tomorrow.

Karin said...

Was reading page 28 of the April Family Fun, thinking -- these paper pizzas look SO familiar! Then, there at the bottom, saw the little blurb saying the idea came from FW! How fun!!!

But I thought your name was Kitten Muffin... : )

Tricia Orchard said...

Oh my - that is adorable! What a creative idea!

Monica said...

Great! I think, I will do it wiht my daughter! many thanks

Tami said...

Just stopping by to let you know that I've featured your craft on Family Fun Crafts! You can see it here:
http://funfamilycrafts.com/cardboard-pizza/

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them. :) If you would like to display a
featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

Unknown said...

Great idea! I always love when an activity is planned for a party! super cute!

hugs! Kim @ Party Frosting!

BrainstorminBloom said...

This is a fabulous idea! My boys and I will have fun making these.
I just added it to my list for Cardboard Boxes Up-cycled!
http://www.brainstorminbloom.blogspot.com/2012/12/cardboard-box-up-cycled-csa.html
Thanks,
Sara

Anna Bear said...

I love this! Great idea! Gotta try it! :)